hello strangers, it’s me!
i’ve had an on-again, off-again relationship with this blog. but this is mainly due to the fact that i had been in hell graduate school trying to earn my master of science in nursing…the knitting has been sporadic (which is definitely disheartening)…the yarn shopping even less frequent. but i am hoping to get back on top of things and get my creative juices flowing again.
since i am devoid of anything knitting related (and knitting pictures!)…i’ll post my most recent kitchen victory: potato soup! This was a product of the CSA bounty we had this fall. (CSA = community supported agriculture). We often struggled to find dishes to prepare with the, at times, weird food combos. however, this soup just came together. i made a giagantous batch of the stuff. the neighbors loved it. my brother’s MIL said it was better than her “good cook’ husband’s potatoe soup. even my filipino parents liked the soup – and they are NOT soup people.
potato soup with leeks & mushrooms
- bacon, 4 or 5 strips
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 pint button mushrooms, diced
- 3 leeks, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 2T butter
- 1T herbs de provence
- 1t ground coriander
- 1/2 & 1/2, 1 pint
- chicken broth, 1 box
- salt & pepper to taste
- in large stock pot, render fat from bacon. reserve bacon for garnish, if desired.
- add butter, then saute onion, carrots, celery, leeks and mushrooms until tender.
- add chicken broth and potatoes. bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer until potatoes are tender.
- temper 1/2 & 1/2, add to soup.
- in a blender or food processor, blend soup in small batches to a smooth consistency.
- adjust seasonings if needed. garnish with whatever you choose! (bacon, croutons, green onions, cheese…sky’s the limit)
i hope you get the chance to try it! don’t forget to save me some!